Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Breaking the Seal


I've decided to begin my new blog, One of 6.3 Million, with a comment on American Idol. What better way to break into the blogosphere than rattling on about America's favorite television show. But can somebody please tell me... Where are the Adam Lamberts of this season? Where is the creativity? And how, in goodness' name, is Kara DioGuardi 40 years old? (I mean come on now, good for you Kara. Good. For. You.)

Is it just me, or is there a substantial increase in judge-time this year? I realized this morning that I set the DVR for the show and as soon as the vocalists are done I fast-forward to Simon. I need a little constructive criticism in my life, and he is the only one who provides it. As soon as Simon is gone I will have no place to fast-forward to, and American Idol will lose the very "realness" that makes it so popular. After all, nobody gets anywhere from being pampered. 

Last night little Aaron sang "Blue Suede Shoes," which is a song I grew up listening to more than I would have liked. Like many Americans I thought "Blue Suede Shoes" was an Elvis song; but oh no, it is in fact, a Carl Perkins song.  Elvis covered it on a live broadcast back in the day which led to this all-too-common misconception. It was not until last night, when I got home from Broadway's wonderful new show "Million Dollar Quartet," that I became aware of my ignorance - and it was discouraging to see that no one had noticed on American Idol either. Perhaps if Aaron had actually been wearing blue suede shoes I would not have been so disappointed. Just food for thought, AI.

My prediction for tonight's results show is Andrew and possibly Aaron or Katie. The problem is, I don't want to see any of the contestants go at this point. They've all got something to bring to the table, but it is a competition and we all know how those end. Last night, Simon called Katie's Elvis pick "loud and annoying". Oh sweet, sweet Simon, you certainly do have a way with words.

Moving on... Can we all take a moment to give it up for Siobhan? First of all, who has a name that's spelled like that. And as if that weren't enough, Siobhan is even more original than the phonetic construction of her name. From the first time I saw her speak on live broadcast I thought "Oh my... this woman is a freakin rock star." The last thing anyone wants to see is a spirit like that crushed by the reality of "true" stardom.

I could sit here and write for hours about the contestants of FOX's hit show, American Idol, and let's face it, as one of the 6.3 million people who are out of work, I have the time. But while the final 9 are busy pursuing their dreams and ripening their careers so am I. American Idol, you have given ordinary people the drive to do what they've always dreamed of so it's only fitting that I make you and yours the topic of my first blog as I reenter the creative world as a force to be reckoned with.


1 comment:

  1. Okay I'm trying this again. So many new things to learn, I'm too old! Hats of to you Kacie, a job well done and I agree with your comments, but you already knew that. I can't wait to see what is next. Those that do not know you don't know what they are missing. Bring it on "Cash Finance"!

    ReplyDelete